Davis Brick Store House: Mike Crawford Law Office
Walking Tour Prepared By Kevin & Lisa Ragland
With History By: Yolanda Reid & Linda Dean
January 1872 a fire destroyed all buildings including this location north to Fifth Avenue. The debris was removed and the building you see was begun in 1872 and completed to open in 1873 and called George Davis's Brick Store House. It was identified as a "Gentlemen's Store" until 1898. From 1898 through 1932 it housed C. A Bell & Co., Fiser, Orndorff & Williams Co., Fort, Murphey & Co. and James A. Long & Co. All these businesses carried groceries, hardware, fertilizer and farm implements. The Piggly Wiggly grocery opened here in 1934, followed by Kroger in the early 1940's. Fred B. Murphy and Charles Beasley opened The Family Store in this building in July 1956 continuing to sell clothing and household goods through 1983.
Fred B. Murphy purchased the building from the heirs of George Davis in 1971 thus Davis and his descendants had owned this property for ninety-nine years. In April 1983 Fred B. & wife Frankie Murphy made a master deed which divided the building into two units. Floors one and two plus basement were designated as commercial and called Unit 1. The top floor made residential and called Unit 2. Unit 1 was purchased in 1985 by Robert Michael Crawford and Wm. L. Underhill for use as their law offices. Underhill sold his interest to Crawford in 2009. Unit 2 has been the property of Trey Sherrod since 2005.