Richert & Dillaha Law Office Shannon Drugs, Pitt Bros. Saloon
Walking Tour Prepared By Kevin & Lisa Ragland
With History By: Yolanda Reid & Linda Dean
On January 25, 1872, fire destroyed the buildings in existence at that time from today's 512 S. Main, Crawford's' law office south to today's Crossroad Book store. This building is believed to have been built shortly thereafter and is for certain here in 1888. The building was purchased by John & Jasper Pitt in January 1890 and was opened as Pitt Saloon in that year continuing as such through 1903. It is in 1903 that Springfield voted dry and all saloons were closed.
The distilleries manufacturing liquor continued to make and sell their product but not in Springfield.
Tennessee passed a law in 1909 prohibiting the sale and production of liquor and the distilleries in Robertson County closed. The Pitt Brothers and their descendants continued ownership of this property until selling it in 1938. During the years 1909 through 1976 Shannon Drug Company did business here, first renting from the Pitt family then in 1938 brothers J. Dudley Shannon & Herbert. A. Shannon purchased the property from them. Louis Draughon bought the building in January 1977 and rented it to Georgia Girl Fashions through 1982. Mr. Draughon's estate sold it to Clyde W. Richert, Ill in 1985 and today he continues his law practice here.
The house was built eighty ears ago (about 1811) and was made entirely of logs. It was owned and run by John Y. Hutchison's grandfather seventy-five years ago as a hotel. " December 1891 the Tennessean reported that they were moving into their new building. Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps reveal that the old building's longest side had fully faced the square, but the new building had been built slightly south of the old one and was turned the direction you see today. The Garner's and their heirs continued ownership of the building until 1945 when they sold it to local banker Culver Burnett. Burnett rented the building to John R. Long, attorney and Springfield City Mayor and in 1957 Long added John D. Sprouse, attorney. By 1973 George Price, State Farm Insurance Agent rented the building prior to it becoming the Chamber of Commerce office in 1979 through 1984. The building housed the District Attorney Office from 1984 through 1994, and in 1994 Phyllis Dozier Morris made this her law office, she and husband Dent Morris purchased the property in 1998 and she continues her law practice here in 2021.