Walking Tour Prepared By Kevin & Lisa Ragland
With History By: Yolanda Reid & Linda Dean
Judge John Woodard purchased this property at public auction in 1865 on which sat "a large brick building occupied by Pope & Green grocery store". John Woodard was born in Robertson County and was known for his great work ethic. He served as County Judge for Robertson County and three different terms as Legislator. He built his home in Robertson County on Hwy 49W, called The Beeches which still stands
On February 11, 1899 a fire started in the building adjoining this site. Although a Nashville Fire Engine joined the fight the cistern at the Courthouse ran out of water and all the buildings on this north side of the square were destroyed. In that same year John Woodard had the building you see built. This property remained under the ownership of the Woodard family until it was sold in February 1982 and through most of those years it housed Woodard Hardware Co. The building was owned by the City of Springfield from 1987 to 2017 with various tenants when it was purchased by G.S. Moore & Son the current owner.